In Congress, Shahid will:
- Enact the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act. Phase out special certificates under section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, which allows employers to pay disabled workers less than the federal minimum wage. This Act would put a freeze on new section 14(c) certificates and gradually raise the wages of those currently working under these certificates to the federal minimum wage. It also increases grants for businesses that employ disabled individuals.
- Provide living wage jobs to persons with disabilities who want to work under a federal jobs guarantee program along with employment assistance for those who need it.
- Fully fund the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
- Pass the Disabilities Integration Act to allow people with disabilities and people who need long-term supports and services more opportunity for community integration by providing more in-home care services. Many disabled people are currently forced into institutions where they're stripped of their basic rights and autonomy.
- Ensure Social Security Disability Insurance is enough to live comfortably in every region of the U.S. by tying it to the Consumer Price Index. The max income if you are disabled in San Francisco is around $950. That is nowhere near enough to survive and contributes to homelessness.